Friday, June 24, 2011

Naptime Fun

So over the last few weeks I've been putting together a basket of activities for Anna to work on while Sawyer naps in the afternoon. Now that she's home for the summer, I need to keep her busy (and quiet) while Sawyer naps for two hours in the afternoon. I don't want her vegging out in front of the television so I've come up with some ideas that I'll post her for anyone who finds themselves in the same situation.

When I was teaching I came across a great series of workbooks called Summer Bridge. They are filled with worksheets that review what your child has learned during the school year. They have a workbook for each grade level. They are divided into days so your child has a set amount to work on each day. Since Anna is already reading, I bought her the kindergarten-first grade workbook as well as the first grade-second grade book. She is happily working on them now.

I also bought her a journal to write in each day. Today she is going to make a list of things she would like to do this summer.

Sticker mosaics

Beading

Scratch art

Fashion Plates (I had these when I was a kid and found them online!)

Sewing cards

Weaving cards

Reading books on the summer reading list -she's presently finishing up one on Helen Keller.

Magnetic Pictures (from Grammy)

Puzzles

Hello Kitty Bingo

***I told Anna that we will also watch The Little House on the Prairie Series that Grammy had given her a while back as a gift. I also found a website that has some neat ideas on it -one of which happens to be making your own homemade ice-cream.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions we can add to our list. I'd love to hear them!

No comments: