Monday, February 27, 2012

Cooking Class

Yesterday afternoon, Ron took Sawyer to Home Depot for some items he needed for work.  I decided to stay home and get an early start on making dinner since I was trying something new.  Anna asked to stay home too and instead of drawing (which is her favorite pastime), she requested to help out with the cooking.  I have to say we had the best time.  I had a new recipe for Cauliflower and Cheddar soup that I wanted to try.  She helped me wash the cauliflower, cut the butter, put all of the onions in the pot and blend the whole thing together once it cooked.  I have to say it was the best soup I we ever made.  We made a batch of homemade popovers to go with it and even decided to throw in some of the leftover, grated cheese we used in the soup.  Yum!

While we were cooking, Anna said she really enjoyed helping out and wanted to do it again sometime.  I told her that maybe we could look into a cooking class after school for her.  I remember when I was in first grade, my mom taught an after-school cooking class for kids at my elementary school.  She used the cafeteria kitchen and taught us how to make homemade butter and I can't remember what else.  It was neat though having her as the teacher of all of my friends.  On a side note, when Ricky began kindergarten, she worked making lunches in the school cafeteria part time so she could make a little extra cash but be home in time for us to come home from school.  I still laugh when I think about how she called herself "the hot-dog lady".

Anyway, Anna asked if I could teach the cooking class and for a moment, I entertained the idea.  But I'll let you in on a secret, I hate cooking when I'm under pressure to impress....and seriously, all goes wrong each time I try to.  So you see, the idea of trying to cook in a strange, institution size kitchen complete with a dozen 6 year olds bouncing around next to fire, boiling water and knives, kind of doesn't sound like a great idea to me.  Just saying.  

No comments: