Monday, June 11, 2012

What Really Matters


I read this online this morning and loved it!  Totally
reminds me of my mom.

I didn’t care that she had once been a talented business
woman, and it didn’t matter to me how much money
we had, but I felt secure knowing that she was home
with me all day.
I didn’t care if she was on Facebook, contributed to
popular blogs, or had a large Twitter following, but I
liked knowing she would always be available to
listen to me when I wanted to talk.
I didn’t care that she regretted not becoming a special
 education teacher instead of studying business in
college, but I felt lucky to have her teaching me at
home.
I didn’t care if she was fashionable or admired by
other men, but it made me happy to know how
 much she loved, served, and respected my dad.
I didn’t care how clean our house was, but I’ll
never forget how she let my sisters and me build
 a huge fort in our living room with dining room
chairs and blankets, and spend the night in it.
I didn’t care if she had an elaborate meal plan or
gourmet cooking equipment, but I loved to eat
 her homemade deep-dish pizza at our Friday
family game nights.
I didn’t care if our couch matched the rest of the
 living room, but I remember how she held and
comforted me there as I cried during many
turbulent adolescent tragedies.
I didn’t care if she was highly sought-after by
others for advice, but there was (and still is!)
no one to whom I’d rather go for counsel.
I didn’t care how busy her schedule was, but
I’ll always remember how she got up early
 every day to spend time in God’s Word and
 in prayer.
I didn’t care if she always had the exact right
words to say, but I could count on the fact
 that her tone of voice would be gentle and
her words truthful.
I didn’t care how popular or cool or important
she was among others, because I knew she
would always make our family her top priority.
As I consider the things I didn’t care about, I have 
to reevaluate what my priorities are in raising my 
daughter.  Am I focused on my image, money, and 
worldly success?  Or am I focused on Christ, 
intentional parenting, and being present in her life?
I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t care 
what else I accomplish in life, as long as I become
 half the mom to my daughter that my own mom 
was and is to me.

No comments: