Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Freezing Our Buns


This year, Ron and I joined an online challenge that we read about on someone's blog. We made a pledge to keep the heat lower than usual this winter. The woman who writes this blog does it for environmental reasons, but we are doing it for financial reasons. Our monthly oil bill is set to double this year due to the oil crisis. After nearly losing it when I heard this, I started researching ways to save money on your heating bill. Hence our adding nine extra inches of insulation to the attic this past weekend. Our builder did a lot of great insulating before we resided the house when we had the addition put on and when Anna was born, we replaced all of the windows. When I was nine months pregnant with her, we got a brand new boiler -actually, I remember the day very clearly. It was ninety degrees outside and I had to come home from work (air-conditioned mind you). I drove home in the Neon which had no ac. I got home sweating like a pig to meet the guys installing the new furnace. I was so hot and felt like I was going to pass out when I heard a knock on the door. The furnace was installed and they wanted me to turn the heat on to make sure everything was working properly Not a good day.
Anyway, there is not much more we can do but turn the thermomstat down to save some money. We've pledged to turn the heat down to 60 at night and no higher than 68 when we are home. When we are out at work/school its at 65. We'll see if it saves some money. We're still paying double but I'm hoping that since the price of oil has come down, we'll be getting a nice refund check in the summer. It will be going towards a gas stove for the family room.

No comments: