Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I had a fun morning planned for Anna today. Our nearby mall has a 'Kidz Summer Camp' each Tuesday during the summer. This morning they had Java John and His Amazing Talking Tiki and then Sparkles the Clown was going to join in on the fun and create some balloon sculptures. Pure enjoyment to an almost three year old right? Well on our way into the mall, I bumped into some ladies I know from church -women whose children are all grown now but whom I remember as always having it all together regarding their children. Well, wouldn't you know it but as we're talking (for only 30 seconds at this point) Anna decides to take off running down the long mall corridor. I call her several times but to no avail -she just keeps running. I start to make my quick goodbyes to these ladies just as Anna decides to turn around and come back to me. She comes running back and I make some comment about how we're so close to three years old but those terrible twos just won't give it up already. They smile and laugh as now Anna who is almost back by my side focuses on the nearby escalator. She takes off running again aiming right for it. Of course its the escalator going up which certainly is not going to help my cause at all. Fortunately I grabbed her just in time remembering my mom telling me about the many occasions she wanted to pinch me as I continuously embarrassed her in public. The thought entered my mind as I now wrestled my daughter and tried to finish my conversation with these 'perfect moms'. As we walked away I contemplated skipping the show and just going home as I truly felt Anna did not deserve to see the show due to her terrible behavior but the thought of sitting at home alone with her while she fights this terrible mood she is in was too scary of a thought. I hoped that the show would distract her and entertain her and maybe even tire her out for a good long nap while Mommy regrouped. I guess what discouraged me the most was that I thought we would have such a nice morning together and unfortunately it was just the beginning. She did watch the show but didn't want to participate in it and sat sucking her thumb for the majority of it. Lunch did not improve as I had egg salad thrown at me and then more and more tears. Where has my sweet little girl gone I keep asking myself. Did I mention that last night she put her vitamin in her ear? I know I shouldn't complain as she has always been so easygoing but I think that makes it that much harder. We'll see how this afternoon goes after her nap.

No comments: